Monday, February 18, 2008

Gumboots

My sister just forwarded me a copy of the lyrics to Fredd Dagg's famous Gumboot song.
You see she just booked her wedding in the Woolshed which is on a farm, so I pointed out the protrocol requires White gumboots for the bride (as opposed to regular black gumboots for the groom and guests).

Well, I suppose if you grew up knowing the gumboot song, this would have been funny, and if you didn't grow up with that song - well can't blame me.

BTW - this song has nothing whatsoever to do with Billy Connolly's "If it wisnae fur yer wellies" which is clearly a simple rip off (the fact that it pre-dates Dagg's song raises a question about the space-time continuum, but that's a different question).

Anyway, without further ado, here is Fredd and his Gumbooty song:



(Intro, spoken, with gusto.) 'Righto, kick it in the guts, Trev... '
Gumboots, they are wonderful, gumboots, they are swell
'coz they keep out the water, and they keep in the smell.
And when you're sittin' round at home, you can always tell
When one of the Trevs has taken off his gumboots.

Chorus:
If it weren't for your gumboots, where would ya be?
You'd be in the hospital or infirmary
'coz you would have a dose of the 'flu, or even pleurisy
If ya didn't have yer feet in yer gumboots.

Now there's rugby boots and racing boots, and boots for drinkin' rum.
But the only boots I'm never without, are the ones that start with "gum".
I've got short ones and long ones, and some up to me belt.
I'm never dressed 'till I've got on me gumboots.

Whenever I sing at the opera, my gumboots are a must.
They help me hit the high notes, and protect me feet from dust.
They keep the water well away, so me voice won't get no rust.
You will not never see me without me gumboots.

Now Rob Muldoon, and Rowling, they haven't made a hit.
They're ruining the country, more than just a bit.
If they keep on how they're going, we'll all be in turd.
So you'd better get yer feet up yer gumboots.

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

Hi Michael-
I'm starting to find my way around this whole blog thing, and I thought I would check out your other blog.
It is nice to see a bit of "Kiwiana" on the web - though the controversy of its origins goes on and on. I'm all for John Clark/Fred Dagg having ripped off Billy Connolly rather than the other way around - but that may come from me being raised on Connolly with an ex-pat Scottish nationalist mother in Karori. My husband, Rob, a third generation Kiwi, holds to your time continuim theory and is utterly convinced that Connolly ripped off Dagg. Our children are completely oblivious to the whole controversy and think that we are singing the same song in two different languages. Either way, it's an amusing nostalgic song - thanks for putting it on the blog.
Kirsty