Thursday, March 6, 2008

וזות התורה אשר שם משה

I had to take the car to the Mechanic today - always a fun proposition ("Check Engine' light came on).

While I was waiting for them to analyse the problem, I had a chance to look over the reading material provided. One of the things that I love about this country is that in addition to the old newspapers, there was a set of Chumashim (which gave me a chance to finish Parshat Shavua), and a 2 volume set of thoughts on the Parsha (sorry I can't remember the title of the book - I have to take the car back next week, I'll try to look then).

Anyway, there was a wonderful thought which ties into a news article this week.

Midrash Raba asks on the Passuk: וזות התורה אשר שם משה ("And this is the Torah which Moses Placed...)
What type of "Sam" (סם - drug) did Moshe place in the Torah - סם המות or סם החיים ("Drug of life" or "Drug of Death") The Midrash then goes on to show that the Torah can be the source of all life, or Chas V'Shalom - Death.

How is this related to the news, well some Genius thinks that he discovered the cause of the overwhelming sensory experience at Sinai, apparently Moshe and all Bnei Yisrael were on Drugs (you couldn't make this stuff up)

You don't believe me - check out this from AP.

You see, this guy has a problem, he doesn't believe in G-d, or the Truth in the Revelation at Sinai - after all, as an intelligent person he realizes that if the revelation were true, he would have to change his lifestyle.

At the same time, he doesn't want to discount the Torah's description of the events at Sinai, including the Synesthesia that's described (the ability to see sounds like Thunder).

Suddenly he worked out a solution, as an experienced drug user (by his own admission), he realized that if all of Bnei Yisrael were on drugs, that would explain everything - well everything except for the existence of the Torah at the end of the experience.

And I thought that I have heard every carzy idea imaginable....

No comments: