Sunday, April 26, 2009

Song for Yom Hazikaron - The Ballad for the Medic

In Honour of Yom Hazikaron (Memorial Day) which begins tomorrow night, I'd like to share the following song which I believe is based on a true story (if anyone knows in which war the story occured or other details, please leave a comment).







BALLAD FOR THE MEDIC
by Dan Almagor and Effi Netzer

They slowly advanced. Everything was calm.
Against the river, with the reeds rustling
suddenly a lightning bolt roared,
and one [person] yelled out: [I'm] wounded!
I'm coming - the medic replied to him.
We went over a mine! the wounded yelled,
I'm here, by your side - the medic replied to him.

A hail of fire is coming down,
a heavy fragmentary hail,
across the river, to the murmuring reeds
Leave me here - the wounded requested,
leave the non-sense
- the medic then answered him.
Save yourself - the wounded requested.
I'm staying with you - the medic answered him.

And the two remained alone,
and the field was open.
And the two remained alone,
exposed to the fire.
We are [about to] perish
- the wounded then muttered,
hold me well
- the medic answered him.
You were wounded too
- the wounded them muttered
never mind, it's not too bad
- the medic answered him.

The fire is very heavy! It's very hard to move.
Just don't despair, just don't despair,
I'll always remember you
- the wounded then pledged.
Just don't fall - the medic then muttered.
I'm yours till the day you die
- the wounded then pledged.
Today's the day I die
- the medic answered him.

Suddenly a dust cloud, suddenly the wind rose,
and a shaddow over the ground,
it approached loudly.
We're saved! They're coming!
- the wounded then whimpered,
but he did not hear a word out of the medic.
My brother, my very brother!
- the wounded then whimpered.
Across the river, the reeds are rustling,
my brother, my very brother
my brother, my very brother
my brother!!!

בלדה לחובש
ביצוע: יהורם גאון
מילים: דן אלמגור
לחן: אפי נצר

הם התקדמו לאט. הכל היה רגוע.
מנגד הנהר וגומא מרשרש
פתאום רעם ברק, אחד צעק: פצוע!
אני כבר בא- ענה לו החובש.
עלינו על מוקש! - צעק אז הפצוע,
אני כאן, לצידך - ענה לו החובש.

ברד של אש ניתך, ברד כבד קטוע,
מעבר לנהר, לגומא הרוחש.
הַשאירו אותי כאן - ביקש אז הפצוע,
עזוב שטויות - ענה אז החובש.
תציל את עצמך - ביקש אז הפצוע.
אני נשאר איתך - ענה לו החובש.

והם נותרו שניהם, והשדה פתוח.
והם נותרו שניהם, והם גלויים לאש.
אנחנו אבודים - מילמל אז הפצוע,
אחוז בי טוב - ענה לו החובש.
נפצעת גם אתה - מילמל אז הפצוע
עזוב, זה לא נורא - ענה לו החובש.

האש כבדה, כבדה! קשה, קשה לנוע.
רק לא להתייאש, רק לא להתייאש,
אזכור אותך תמיד - נשבע אז הפצוע.
רק לא ליפול - מילמל אז החובש.
שלך עד יום מותך - נשבע אז הפצוע.
היום הוא יום מותי - ענה לו החובש.

פתאום ענן אבק, פתאום עלתה הרוח,
וצל על הקרקע, והוא קרב, רועש.
ניצלנו! הם באים! - ייבב אז הפצוע,
אך לא שמע מילה מן החובש.
אחי, אחי שלי! - ייבב אז הפצוע.
מעבר לנהר הגומא מרשרש,
אחי, אחי שלי
אחי, אחי שלי
אחי!!!

No comments: